Reading List—Robert Browning
- DiRyals, Clyde. The Life of Robert Browning: A Critical Biography. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers, 1996.
- Miller, Betty B. Robert Browning: A Portrait. London: John Murray, 1952.
General Online Resources:
- The Victorian Web: http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/rb/index.html. A particularly good page to look at is their exhaustive bibliography at: http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/rb/dm6.html
- The Robert Browning Hypermedia Archive: http://faculty.stonehill.edu/geverett/rb/rb.html
Book-Length Works (Selected):
- Bristow, Joseph. The Cambridge Companion to Victorian Poetry. Cambridge: CambridgeUniversity Press, 2000.
- Drew, Philip. The Poetry of Browning: A Critical Introduction. London: Methuen & Co., Ltd., 1970.
- Duffin, Henry Charles. Amphibian: A Reconsideration of Browning. Cambridge; Bowes and Bowes, 1955.
- Litzinger, Boyd and Donald Smalley (eds.). Browning: The Critical Heritage. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1970.
If you are interested in following up the references to painting and sculpture in “My Last Duchess” and “The Bishop Orders His Tomb…”, please consult any standard history of art, or one that focuses on fifteenth and sixteenth-century European art.
For articles, please search JSTOR and Project MUSE using the poet’s name and the four poems’ titles. You will obtain a very large number of them, many of them saying contradictory things, and you should sift through them and make use of these contradictory opinions.